KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europes leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Swedens largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Third-cycle subject: Fibre and polymer science
The project includes new ways to design 3-dimensional, low density network of nanocelluosa that can be used as substrates in new biomedical applications, in electrically interactive materials and as interactive absorbent materials. The dimensions and characteristics of the nanocelluose makes it possible to structure the manufactured materials at different levels, from nm to micrometer and on to mm scale. The project is scientifically fundamental and new ways of manufacturing the materials will be developed. Self-associated processes will be used and evaluated. The materials will also be evaluated with new high-resolution scattering technologies and through collaboration with various research groups at KTH and national and international research groups. New theories for the spreading of liquids in the networks will also be developed. You will work in a multidisciplinary, international research group with many joint projects and cross-connections between the projects. The work is free and independent, yet thoroughly planned and with regular feedback between the supervisors and doctoral students. As a PhD student, you report to your supervisor, but the assisting supervisor also has an active and defined role. The work is funded by the Swedish Research Council, which supports long-term and fundamental research.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH's Alumni organization.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to [KTH's doctoral student salary agreement.[(https://intra.kth.se/en/anstallning/anstallningsvillkor/lon/doktorandstegen-1.572915)
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe´s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH.
Vi söker dig som
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
We are looking for you who have a Master of Science degree in chemistry/chemical engineering or equivalent and with a good knowledge of physical chemistry in general and in surface and colloid chemistry in particular. Knowledge of cellulose-based materials and nanocellulose is also considered an advantage.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
The applicant should be fluent in English and have a documented skill in presenting the research results in written and oral communications.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may thereafter be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicants responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about Processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type: Full time
First day of employment According to agreement, but the target is to start in April/May 2019
Salary: Monthly salary according to KTH's doctoral student salary agreement
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Stockholms län
Reference number: C-2018-2072
* Lars Wågberg, Professor, email@example.com , +46705514829
* Selection and process; Johanna Sörell, Academic work, e-mail: johanna.sörell@academicwork.se and Malin Snårbacka, Academic Work, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date: 16.Jan.2019 11:59 PM CET